Click on the cover to view the electronic issue of TRIAD, the official journal of the Ohio Music Education Association!
OMEA members may access back issues of the electronic TRIAD in the member portal.
Editor of TRIAD
D1 Secretary/Treasurer: Benjamin Lupo
D2 President-Elect: Rodney Miller
D2 Secretary/Treasurer: Briann Edwards
D3 President-Elect: Wendi Bechtol-Davis
D3 Secretary/Treasurer: Karen Kelly
D4 President-Elect: Mark Wozniak
D4 Secretary/Treasurer: Lisa Richards
D5 President-Elect: Robert Antonucci
D5 Secretary/Treasurer: Derrick Kittle
D6 President-Elect: Garrett Doty
D6 Secretary/Treasurer: Eric Ratica
D7 Secretary/Treasurer: Adam Landry
D15 President-Elect: Brandon Moss
D15 Secretary/Treasurer: Melissa Dover
D16 President-Elect: Grant Stephan
D16 Secretary/Treasurer: Russell Hawvermale
D17 President-Elect: Joshua Willett
D17 Secretary/Treasurer: Aaron Rex
EC Region Chair-Elect: Stephen Domka
EC Secretary/Treasurer: Anthony Springer
SW Region Chair-Elect: Felipe Morales-Torres
SW Region Secretary/Treasurer: Brian Frey
The deadline to submit proposals is May 31st, 2015.
2016 Professional Conference
January 27-30, 2016
Band Chair – Brett Benzin
Choir Chair – Kent Vandock
Jazz Ensemble Chair – Brandon DuVall
Orchestra Chair – Matthew Yoke
2016 ALL-STATE APPLICATIONS ARE EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE!
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THE POSTAL SERVICE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!
OMEA continues the use of online applications for the 2016 All-State Ensembles. Please be aware the online application does not change how recordings are made, only how applications and recordings are submitted. To get started please go to www.omea-ohio.org and follow the “2016 All-State” link where you will find audition requirements and further instructions. You will need the following items to apply:
1. Student and parent e-mail addresses.
2. Digital recordings of required etudes/solos/scales/warm-up (as listed below)
3. Your director’s contact information
4. Your director’s 9-digit NAfME identification number
5. A credit card for the $10 application fee (paid to Acceptd)
March 1: Application and audition material available.
May 31: Deadline for all applications to be submitted. Please carefully note the specific etude and performance requirements. They are all different for 2016.
August 31: Notification of results to applicants and directors.
September 30: Due date for acceptance form and membership fee of $250 (includes hotel lodging and 5 meals).
All participants must stay in the All-State housing hotel (4 people to each room).
2016 Professional Conference
January 27-30, 2016
2016 All-State Children’s Chorus
Cincinnati, Ohio - January 28, 2016
ALL-STATE CHILDREN’S CHORUS CHAIR - Jodie Ricci
ALL-STATE CHILDREN’S CHORUS COMMITTEE- Nathan Bachofsky, Jeremy David, Pat Haynish, Terry Herschman, Sandra Mathias, Stacey Moyer, Ann Usher and Suzanne Walters
OMEA is pleased to announce auditions for our second OMEA All-State Children’s Chorus on Thursday, January 28, 2016 at the Hyatt Headquarter Hotel in Cincinnati, Ohio as part of the OMEA Professional Development Conference. Dr. Rollo Dilworth, professor of choral music at Temple University, will be the guest conductor. Selected choristers will participate in three regional rehearsals prior to this event and a full group rehearsal with Dr. Dilworth on January 28th. The day will conclude with a final concert at 5:00 at the Hyatt Headquarter Hotel. We are thrilled to extend this opportunity to elementary students and teachers in the State of Ohio.
In order to assure an efficient review process, applicants will apply using the “Acceptd, Inc.” online website. All application material MUST be submitted electronically through this web-based company. This process includes a $10 application fee to Acceptd LLC for administering the on-line process. Applications submitted by any other means will not be considered. Please read the following information carefully. Failure to do so may disqualify deserving students.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY for the ALL-STATE CHILDREN’S CHORUS
Auditions will be open to all public, private and home school students in grades 4 and 5 during the 2015-2016 school year whose teachers are members of OMEA. Home-schooled students whose parent or private teacher is a member of OMEA are also eligible. OMEA members are asked to encourage and assist their finest students in the application process described below. Please ensure that all applicants can match pitch, access the head voice and possess the focus and stamina to participate in full day rehearsals.
April 1: Application and audition material available online here (https://app.getacceptd.com/omeachildrenschorus).
June 1: Deadline for all applications to be submitted. Please carefully note the specific performance requirements below.
August 1: Results posted to the OMEA portal http://portal.omea-ohio.org and mailed via post office to all students. Teachers will receive e-mail notification when results are posted to the portal.
September 1: Acceptance forms and $75 participation fee made payable to OMEA due for all applicants. Mail all acceptance forms and the participation fee to Jodie Ricci, OMEA Children’s Chorus Chair, 8895 Birchbark Grove, Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44023.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR ALL APPLICANTS
1. The profile should be created under the student’s name. Directors are welcome to assist students in setting up their profile.
2. Under “PROGRAM GROUP” select “OMEA All State Children’s Chorus”
3. Under “PROGRAM” select MALE or FEMALE
4. Answer all of the questions.
5. Upload clearly named audio recordings. Recordings must begin with the student announcing their name and grade level.
6. Recordings of individual selections should NOT be edited or spliced, but rather performed continuously.
7. Attention should be given to the quality of the recording. Soloists should be more prominent than the accompaniment and the site of the recording should be as soundproof as possible. Recordings can be made on digital recorders, iPhones, iPads.
8. Teachers are urged to review application information and recordings before submission.
9. The final step of the application includes a $10 application fee to Acceptd, Inc. for administering the on-line application process. A pre-paid, $10.00 card, commercially available at various retail locations may suit your needs if a personal credit card is unavailable. Please note that the application fees are paid to “Acceptd, Inc.;” OMEA will not receive this money.
10. Once your application has been submitted, a confirmation e-mail and receipt will be sent.
11. Failure to meet the deadlines or follow application instructions may result in the rejection of an applicant.
12. All evaluation proceedings are confidential and decisions are final.
PDF copies of the audition material will be located on the OMEA website http://www.omea-ohio.org and can be downloaded for reference.
1. Begin with the applicant announcing his/her name and current grade level
2. Sing the first verse of “America the Beautiful,” unaccompanied, in the key of CM.
3. Sing Lowell Mason’s “O Music,” unaccompanied, in any key
NOTIFICATION & FEES
The 2016 All-State Children’s Chorus roster will be posted to the OMEA portal on August 1st, 2015. Teachers will receive e-mail notification when results are posted to the portal. Each applicant will also receive a mailing to his/her home address with audition results. Results are final. If accepted into the 2016 OMEA All-State Children’s Chorus, a $75 participation fee made payable to OMEA is due for all applicants by September 1, 2015.
ALL-STATE CHILDREN’S CHORUS REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
REGIONAL REHEARSAL SCHEDULE
The regional rehearsal schedule and details will be posted to the OMEA web-site http://www.omea-ohio.org. All students are required to attend three regional rehearsals prior to the January 28th event. Students are encouraged to attend the regional rehearsal in their area but may elect to drive to a different region if there is a conflict. Regional rehearsals are mandatory.
January 28th SCHEDULE
All students are required to attend the full day event on January 28th, 2016 at the Hyatt Headquarter Hotel in Cincinnati, Ohio.
8:30 Registration/Check In
9:00-12:15 Morning Rehearsal
12:15-1:00 Lunch provided on site
1:00-3:30 Afternoon Rehearsal
3:45 Run-through in concert venue
STUDENT/APPLICANT FEES & REQUIRED FORMS
If accepted into the 2016 All-State Children’s Chorus, all participants will pay a $75 registration fee to OMEA and complete all required registration forms. All checks should be made payable to OMEA for $75. Checks and acceptance forms should be mailed to Jodie Ricci, OMEA Children’s Chorus Chair, 8895 Birchbark Grove, Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44023.
All students will be given a performance t-shirt on the day of the performance. Students are expected to wear black dress pants, black socks and black dress shoes for the performance.
The journal is available in print in over 45 states in the US, and several countries abroad. Since 2005, digital copies have been distributed through major academic databases such as ProQuest, RILM, EBSCO, ERIC, and others. The journal has been published 1-2 times yearly for the past four decades, and is currently produced once annually in print, and also in digitized format.
CME is a subscription-based publication. Click here on Research Journal (CME) or in the website menu to view more information, see the content, learn about the editorial board, and find out how to subscribe to your music education research journal!
• 2016 CONFERENCE - Cincinnati, January 28-30, 2016
• 2017 CONFERENCE - Cleveland, February 2-4, 2017
• 2018 CONFERENCE - Columbus, February 8-10, 2018
• 2019 CONFERENCE - Cleveland, January 31-February 2, 2019
• 2020 CONFERENCE - Cincinnati, February 6-8, 2020
The call for proposals opens the first week of April in the calendar year preceding the conference. For more information please contact Mark A. Hensler, OMEA Director of Professional Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous year OMEA exhibitors will be contacted via email in the spring of the prior year and interested ’new’ exhibitors should check our website homepage for information during the summer of the prior year. Questions to: David N. Adamson, OMEA Business Manager at email@example.com.